Location and airports
Find out how we handle names for countries, cities and airports in our product.
From Lagos to Luxembourg, LHR to LTN — we love to geek out on all things aviation and destinations. Follow these guidelines to make sure the way we talk about countries, cities and airports is clear and consistent.
Where space allows, write the location name in full. If space is minimal or if the context makes it easily recognisable, write the recognised abbreviation with no full stops if it's:
- universally used and understood
- instantly recognisable within the traveller’s experience with us so far
There are different ways to refer to Britain and the UK, depending on what countries or islands you’re including.
- Great Britain = Scotland, England, Wales
- Ireland (the island) = Ireland (the state), Northern Ireland
- United Kingdom (UK) = Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland
- British Islands = Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey
- British Isles = Great Britain, Ireland (the island), Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey
Always write the airport in full using its official name, followed by the code abbreviation in brackets.
- Barcelona (BCN)
We use the International Air Transport Association (IATA) codes. These are always 3 capital letters.
If a city has more than one airport, always include the city in the name.
- London Heathrow (LHR)
- London Gatwick (LGW)
If you're short for space use the airport abbreviation but never assume it's clear the traveller will understand which airport you're referring to.
Always write the landmark name in full using its official name and capitalisation:
- Eiffel tower
- Great Wall of China
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon
We never use abbreviations unless they’re universally recognisable.
If you’re writing an address in a block, don’t use commas or full stops at the end of the lines.
How to write an address
1 Main Road
If you’re writing an address on one line, use a comma to separate the different parts except before the postcode:
- Skyscanner Ltd, Quartermile One, 15 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9EN